Men in their 40’s are at risk. In danger. And not the kind of danger that harks back to Indiana Jones. After all, only a few of us manage to run from giant boulders while clutching an ancient golden artefact and still look awesome. Here’s the thing. The stats say blokes like us are not happy. The suicide rate for Australian men over 40 is higher than ever. Many of us are not doing well, and what’s worse is we don’t talk about it either. Maybe we don’t know how? It’s a big deal, and a pretty serious conversation. Mark and Andrew chat about how to find new life amidst a mid-life crisis. On the lighter side, they wonder why there’s a strange coincidence between reading The Economist and depression, and how you can be comfortable in your own skin.
If you’re not OK, see your doctor or call people who can help: Lifeline 13 11 14 Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467 MensLine 1300 78 99 78 Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 Further reading
- The Guardian Highest Australian suicide rate in 13 years driven by men aged 40 to 44
- Huffington Post: 7 Signs You Might Be Facing A Midlife Crisis
- Christian Today: How to navigate the male mid-life crisis
- The Australian: Midlife crisis: there is life after middle-age malaise (subscription)
- Desiring God: What Would You Say to a Christian Going Through a Mid-Life Crisis?
- Fortune: Bono: I Will Follow “Actions, actions, actions. It’s about being useful, and that’s what I want to be.”